THIS NEWSLETTER IS A MONTHLY PUBLICATION ISSUED BY AMERICAN LEGION POST #598
141 Elsworth., Horizon City, TX 79928 (915) 852-4823
Howdy 598 Family!
Well Spring has sprung and we are zipping into April. Last month had a lot of happenings. We we’re visited by our good friends from the Arizona American Legion Riders. They stayed over for our St. Patrick’s party and dinner. I’d really like to thank Kelly of the Arizona Riders, as well as Shadow and Sauceman for helping me out in the kitchen serving up some corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots. Every bit of 40 pounds of the corned beef got wolfed down. Thanks goes to Ruben for a donation to the Legion from the Post 598 Riders.
We got a special visit from a great veteran. Shane Moore who is doing a walk across America from the coast of Florida to San Diego to raise money for homeless vets. He is doing it under the Hike for Vets: http://www.hikeforvets.com/. You can check up on his progress by going to his Facebook page Hike for Vets: https://www.facebook.com/hikeforvets/ and look up Shane Moore: https://www.facebook.com/shanemichaelmoore. Around Friday he got to Douglas, AZ. He’s doing 15 to 20 miles or a more a day.
April is going to be a somewhat break in the action. But in May make sure you come on up to your Post on May 5th. American Legion Riders Chapter 598 will be holding a garage sale and gordita cook off to raise funds for the upcoming USO Run. If you have anything to donate please contact Frosty or Lawman. In May we have Mother’s Day on the 13th stay tuned for happenings. Armed Forces Day on the 19th and Memorial Day on May 28th where we will be holding a ceremony to honor our fallen service members and Post 598 members at 6:00 pm in our memorial circle.
Keep June 16th open and on your calendar. Your Post will be holding a flag retirement ceremony as well as an AR-15 Raffle drawing to raise funds for your Post. Tickets will be $10.00 per ticket and you do not need to be present. You will have to go to El Paso Gun Exchange on Hawkins and Montana a pass a background check to receive you weapon.
Very importantly we will be holding Legion Post elections on the third Tuesday of June on the 19th starting at 7:00 pm. If you want to run for a position there will be a white board up shortly where you can place you name.
American Legion National and Department of Texas is pushing very hard for all Post to become more family friendly by going Non-smoking. There are many people who won’t go into an establishment that allows smoking. We are the last smoking allowed Post in El Paso County. We are making plans to go non-smoking as well. Please come to the General Membership Meeting which falls on the 3rd Tuesday of each month so you can give your input or concerns on how we may achieve it with as little inconvenience as possible to our members that do smoke.I hope everyone in the American Legion Family has a great and wonder Easter holiday
Just in case I missed something this month stay up to date and see what is going on go to the Post 598 website at http://www.alhorizoncitytx598.org/
Thank you one and all for making our Post a better place.
For God and Country
Clay Durbin email@example.com
American Legion Post 598
Hey Ya’ll. Hope your March was great. I was otherwise occupied so I missed most of March, but I’m told the place was packed for the St. Patrick’s Day meal. They ran out of food and had a crazy evening.
Adult Easter egg hunt is coming up. Never know what to expect!
Election are just around the corner so offices will have to be filled in order to continue the Auxiliary.
I’ll see you at the meeting in April. Please attend if you can.
Thanks and have a great month and stay out of the dust!!!
Judy Burrows Interim President
April Fun Facts
1. April Fools Day is celebrated on April 1st.
2. April 1, 1984, Marvin Gaye was killed by his father.
3. April 3, 1991 Desert Storm, The Persian Gulf War Ends.
4. April 4, 1968 Martin Luther King Assassinated.
5. April 5, 1955, Winston Churchill resigns due to failing health.
6. April 11, 1968, Civil Rights. Pres. Johnson signs into law the Civil Rights Art, Making housing discrimination illegal.
7. April 14, 1912 Titanic sinks.
8. April 15, 1974, Patty Hearst Bank Robbery.
9. April 16, 1955, Polio Vaccine nationwide vaccinations begin.
10. April 17, 1961 Bay of Pigs Invasion.
11. April 18, 1942 World War II - First U.S. Bombing of the Japanese Mainland Doolittle raids Tokyo with 16 B-25 bombers.
12. April 19, 1982, First African-American astronaut. NASA announces that Guion S. Bluford, Jr. would be the first Aferican-American astronaut. He because the first African-American in space in 1983.
7. 13. April 20, 192, Grand Canyon is formally dedicated as a National Park
14. April 21, 1836 Texas Independence - Battle of San Jacinto
15. April 21,1879, Louisiana changes its capital from New Orleans to Baton Rouge.
16. April 23,1954, Hank Aaron hits his first major-league home run.
17. April 24, 1990 Hubble Telescope NASA launches their $1.5 billion Earth-orbiting telescope into space
18. April 25, 1901, New York becomes the first U.S. State to require automobile license plates.
19. April 26, 1986 Chernobyl Disaster The worst accident in the history of nuclear energy.
20. April 27, 1838 Great fire of Charleston The South Carolina fire destroyed about 1/4th of the center of the city.
21. April 28, 1881 Billy the Kid The notorious outlaw commits his last homicides.While escaping from the Mesilla, New Mexico jail, he kills deputies James Bell and Robert W. Ollinger.
22. April 29, 1975 Vietnam War - Saigon Embassy Evacuation The American embassy in Saigon, Vietnam is evacuated. 1,373 U.S. citizens and 5,595 Vietnamese and third-country nationals are evacuated to U.S. Navy ships.
23. April 30, 1945 Hitler Commits Suicide.
S.A.L. Squadron 598 member Evan Skelley was selected to represent Blythewood High School and the state of South Carolina for the National Academy of Science and Technologists Award of Excellence. Recipients are selected based on outstanding grades, leadership and determination to serve humanity in the field of science and technology. His 4.5 G.P.A. along with voluntarily tutoring students in math/science and enrollment in the Blythewood Honors Society earned Evan this prestigious award.
The Congress of Future Science and Technology Leaders will be held the week of June 29th at the University of Massachusetts. Here, the participants will be mentored by former Nobel Prize winners in Physics as well as National Medal of Science, Physical Science and Technology Innovation winners.
Evan has plans to attend Duke University or the United States Air Force Academy in order to pursue his career choice as an aerospace engineer. If you would like to help Evan reach his goal of $1500 to attend this prestigious event, please visit https://www.gofundme.com/dhpn7h-future-science-and-tech-leaders?ssid=1227791342&pos=1 at Go Fund Me to make a donation for Evan Skelley, or contact Jubbie at firstname.lastname@example.org and he will see that any money is sent to Evan.
If you would like to contact me, please feel free to do so at any time. My cell # 915-820-0244, e-mail email@example.com
FOR GOD AND COUNTRY Patrick O’Hara SAL Commander
1ST TUESDAY OF THE MONTH
LEGION GENERAL MEMBERSHIP
3rd TUESDAY OF THE MONTH
7:00 P.M DUES $40.00.
2nd TUESDAY 7:00 P.M. DUES $26.00
SON OF THE LEGION
3RD FRIDAY OF THE MONTH 7:00 P.M. DUES $20.00
AMERICAN LEGION RIDERS
4TH SATURDAY OF THE MONTH 10:00 A.M. DUES $30.00 SINGLE/COUPLE $30.00
4TH TUESDAY OF EACH MONTH
YOU HAVE THE DATES AND TIME OF MEETINGS SO NO EXCUSE NOT TO ATTEND
No Input Received
For God and Country Jesus “SHADOW” Velasco DIRECTOR ALR 598
AMERICAN LEGION RIDERS CHAPTER 598 OFFICERS
For the year 2017-2018
DIRECTOR: Jerry Tillson (Frosty)
DEPUTY DIRECTOR: Ruben Duran (Lawman)
SECRETARY: Jeremy Lehmen (Viking)
TREASURER: Dwight Borgman (Ditch)
Sergeant At Arms: Patrick O'Hara (Lunes)
ROAD CAPTAIN: Scott Hilgenburg (Shooter)
CHAPLAIN: Lisa Tillison (Dimple)
MEMBERSHIP: Daniel Saucedo (Sauce Man)
4th Saturday of the month 10:00 am
ALR 598 Fri-Fest: 4th Fri. of Month
Hope this finds all well with you all.
Our Post was visited by AZ ALR Sister Chapters from Tombstone, Scottsdale and Douglas there were about a total of 40 Riders that visited the area during the weekend of March 16th - 18th.
They participated in our annual St. Patty’s dinner/celebration along with our members and their guests, as always it was awesome enjoying their company. The Commander prepared a delicious corned beef meal that sold out! Thank you Shadow, Sauceman and Sister Kelly (AZ ALR) for helping out in the kitchen.
Our Post was the second stop for The Choir Boys Benefit Run Saturday March 24th about 30 Riders visited us and really enjoyed the hospitality and Bloody Mary’s. Hopefully we were able to recruit some new members to our Post.
The Bar will be hosting Post 598 Annual Adult Easter Egg Hunt on Saturday March 31st at 7pm. Finger food will be provided. Hope we have a great turn-out for this fun event.
Remember every Thursday and Friday our Pool and Poker Tourney at 7pm, there’s always plenty of room for new players!
Please keep our Sister ‘Bling’ in your prayers as she is diligently fighting breast cancer.
Thank you all for your continued support of ‘Our’ Post.
Always Live, Laugh and Love
Post 598 Bar Manager
5:00 PM – 12:00 AM
5:00 PM – 12:00 AM
2 Butt Rule
Planning a Special Occasion?
American Legion Hall, Post 598
Available for Weddings, Birthdays,
Quinceaneras, Meetings, etc.
Capacity 160 Persons
Kitchen Facilities Available
For Details, Prices & Available Dates
Call Lupe Morales 760-583-4108
We Offer Membership Discounts